Welcome message from Dean
I am pleased to welcome you to the College of Natural and Basic Medical Sciences, Redeemer’s University and to our website which I hope you will find informative. The Redeemer’s University (RUN) is a faith-based private university owned by the Redeemed Christian Church of God and located at km 46 along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway in South-Western Nigeria. The University was established in 2005 with three (3) Colleges which included the College of Natural and Basic Medical Sciences. In 2012/2013 session the College of Postgraduate Studies was established in the University with two of our Departments, Biological Sciences and Physical Sciences, commencing postgraduate programmes to PhD.
Our College is home to four departments, namely: Biological, Chemical, Mathematical and Physical Sciences which altogether mount nine (9) programmes leading to the award of Bachelor of Science (B. Sc.) degrees in Microbiology, Applied Biology and Genetics, Biochemistry, Industrial Chemistry, Pure Chemistry, Industrial Mathematics, Computer Science, Statistics and Physics with Electronics. The curriculum of each programme has been carefully crafted to reflect the vision of the University which is “To provide a future generation of God-fearing, creative, innovative and inventive entrepreneurs motivated to build and sustain a better Nigeria and a better world”. Our first set of Masters’ and Doctoral students were admitted to the Departments of Biological and Physical Sciences in 2013/14 session, thus began a new era of innovative research in the College.
Science has always been a quest to understand nature and how everything works. It is the engine that drives our modern world and is fundamental to everything we do. It has significantly impacted our society, economy, health and our technologically advanced life styles. To be a scientist, therefore, you should be curious, critical, logical, intelligent and innovative. All these attributes are taken into account at the College of Natural and Basic Medical Sciences, Redeemer’s University as we mould each and every one of our students to become the total graduate in science that he/she should be.
World-wide, academic research in the physical, chemical and biological sciences has vastly broadened the horizons of mankind giving us a deep insight into the structure of matter and of the universe. It has also brought better understanding of the nature of life and its complexities. Technology, the application of science has made fantastic advances that have affected us beneficially in nearly every aspect of life: better health, more wealth, less drudgery and greater access to information. On this premise, the vision of Redeemer's University is to make the College of Natural and Basic Medical Sciences a centre of excellence in the various disciplines offered by the College.
Two landmark achievements were recorded by our College during 2013/14 session. Redeemer’s University, our College, and in particular, our Department of Biological Sciences, has made Nigeria proud by emerging the best rated university selected from West and Central Africa in the bid for the establishment of African Centre of Excellence in different research fields to be funded by the World Bank. At the end of the bid Redeemers University was declared an African Centre of Excellence in Genomics of Infectious Diseases (ACEGID). This recognition opens up a whole range of opportunities for capacity building in Genomics from undergraduate to post-doctoral levels of studies. The same Department won a $1.54 million research grant to be dispensed over the next four years to support research and training of Africans in the field of Genomics and building scientific infrastructure under the Human, Hereditary and Health in Africa (H3Africa) Programme which is funded by a partnership between the United States National Institutes of Health and the United Kingdom’s Wellcome Trust.
The NUC will be visiting our University during 2013/14 session to assess our facilities for the take off of postgraduate programmes in the Departments of Chemical Sciences and Mathematical Sciences. This development is an eloquent attestation to the high standard that the College has been able to build within its short life. It offers you to start your undergraduate studies at RUN and continue to the highest level attainable (PhD) in any academic institution in an atmosphere where your rights as a student is respected and protected.
May be you are contemplating pursuing a career in the sciences and you have some doubts about your ability, I request you to answer the following questions:
• Do you have an inquisitive mind?
• Are you fascinated by how things work?
• Are you excited at new discoveries?
• Do you enjoy facing challenges and finding solution to problems?
• Do you have a flair for the Sciences?
• Would you want to make a name in science like many Nigerians at home and abroad?
If the answer to all these questions is yes, then you are a prospective science student and the type we want to enrol in our science programmes and nurture to maturity.
Why study Science at Redeemer’s University?
Below are 10 reasons why you should study science at Redeemer’s University
• As a private university we run a stable, uninterrupted academic calendar.
• Among private universities, we are the cheapest, yet with the highest standard.
• We have a crop of experienced, dedicated and approachable lecturers to stimulate your learning to greater heights.
• Our staff/student ratio is very low (1 staff to 7 students) which enables us to closely monitor each student’s progress, weakness and other challenges for effective counselling.
• We expose our students to cutting edge science in our state-of-the-art laboratories.
• The curriculum of each programme is both staff and student friendly, thus making you to achieve more.
• Financial support is available to proven, indigent but brilliant and focused students.
• We provide good living conditions and a conducive academic environment.
• Here at Redeemer’s University, academic pursuit is reinforced with the fear of God
• The totality of our training is based on the pedigree of LIFE which stands for Loyalty, Integrity, Faithfulness and Excellence such that graduates of Redeemer’s University have today become ready targets for employment by various industries, organizations and other employers of labour.
• As much as we are willing to give you the best all round education, Redeemer’s University, by virtue of its vision and mission, and its mandate, cannot condone immorality and any unacceptable behaviour, under any guise.
I am confident that you will be excited by the range and depth of the B.Sc. degree programmes offered by our College of Natural and Basic Medical Sciences and the prospect of continuing your studies to the highest level attainable under our postgraduate programmes.
Our facilities for teaching and research is among the best available anywhere in Nigeria. We are in the process of acquiring a state-of-the-art High Pressure Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry facility at over N25 million in the current year to boost our innovative research facilities.
Come over to Redeemer’s University for an exciting, enriching and rewarding experience as we equip you to face the future.
Professor Timothy Bamiduro
Dean, College of Natural and Basic Medical Sciences